Up to 2 days
Deutsch, English, Română
If you want to get away from the city and spend a full day in nearly untouched natural areas, this guided snowshoe hike is for you! Explore dense forests and snowy pastures in this tranquil environment, and hear the sound of your snowshoes crunching softly in the snow. Your guide will tell you about the culture and lifestyle of local people, geology and wildlife of the mountains, you can even notice tracks of animals looking for food in the pristine snow. Enjoy the stunning scenery of winter wonderland from the rooftops you have conquered.
Snowshoes help you to walk in deep snow as your feet do not sink completely in, but if there is not enough snow, the tours can take place without them. You don’t need any experience or training, this hike is available for all levels.
Each itinerary has its own charm, you can choose from different trails as it follows.
– starting at Red Lake, onto the Ghilcos Stone Vista Point (1354 m), where you can enjoy the breathtaking view of the surrounding mountains and Red Lake from above
– from Bicaz Gorges to Gatul Cupasului peak (1269 m), from where you can notice the Ceahlau Mountains in the distance
– from Balan, to the Lonely Stone rest-house then the Ecem Peak (1707m), or the highest, Hasmasul Mare Peak (1789m). From the ridge, if we are lucky, we can spot chamois and their spectacular moves on the steep cliffs
– from Pongrat Pass (1255m) onto Ciofronca glade (1550), here a nice option is to climb the Ciofronca Peak (1607m), from where you can see the path you have just hiked and the surrounding mountains
– from Ghimes Pass to the Nascalat Mountains (1550 m), a beautiful forgotten land
– from Frumoasa village to Viscol Peak (1495 m), one of the most wonderful trails from the Ciuc Mountains area, a route with historical aspects, of which you can find out more from your guide
– the trail to Harghita-Madaras Peak (1801m), with the stunning panorama of all the mountain ranges, such as Ceahlau, Calimani, Fagaras, Apuseni. On top you can sense a mystical atmosphere due to the small stone piles and wooden monuments. Here you can also visit the scenic Seche waterfall.
– Kossuth Rock hike (1399 m), a rocky formation from where we can watch the town of Miercurea-Ciuc and villages of the Ciuc Basin
– Harghita Ciceu peak (1759 m), and Bufnitei Ruin, from where, in good weather conditions, you can see the range of the Southern and Eastern Carpathians
– tour around the crater of the volcanic lake, Saint Anne, with a beautiful view over the lake and Bixad village, visiting Mohos Peat-Bog nature reserve, learning about formation of the craters, mofettes and carnivorous plants, and optionally the Puturosu Cave and the multitude of natural springs in the Balvanyos area.
Depending on your interest and availability, the program can be extended with a beer tasting at a local brewery or a meal in a nearby restaurant.
Price according to no. of people
3 pers – 45 eur/pers
4 pers – 40 eur/pers
5 pers – 40 eur/pers
6 pers – 30 eur/pers
7 pers – 30 eur/pers
8+ pers – 25 eur/pers
Children (4-14 years old): 15 eur/pers
Thoughtful thoughts to your inbox